Saturday 25 August 2012

Day-15

In Love of the Sea....

"The Sea" (paint, ink & mesh)


Song of Myself 

"You sea! I resign myself to you also - I guess what you mean,
I behold from the beach your crooked inviting fingers,
I believe you refuse to go back without feeling of me,
We must have a turn together, I undress, hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft, rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet, I can repay you. Sea of stretch'd ground-swells,

Sea breathing broad and convulsive breaths,
Sea of the brine of life and of unshovell'd yet always-ready graves, Howler and scooper of storms, capricious and dainty sea,
I am integral with you, I too am of one phase and of all phases. Partaker of influx and efflux, 
I, extoller of hate and conciliation, 
extoller of enemies and those that sleep in each others' arms."
 
Walt Whitman


Walt Whitman's poem spoke to me in so many ways; I grew up at the ocean, in Germany, and every time I go away from living at the sea, I have regrets that ultimately make me return to it; at the sea, I love the feel of soft warm sand between my toes or walking on it when it is wet and dense while the tide is out and I get squirted by crabs; I love taking off all my clothes in the sun and feeling the warm water caress my naked body....but the ocean can also be cold and dark, and there is no 'perfect storm'; the sea can be angry and unforgiving, neither of which I consider myself to still be; but it is the feeling of being One when in nature and the surrender and peace I feel from that....

Have a creative sunny day,

Susanne



******



Maria's 15th Prayer Flag:

 

 "Magpie" (fabric, yarn & feathers)


Maria tells this short story: "My tarot card said today that the reward for work will come soon, and in the book I blindly chose, 'department chief' - oh no!  Shortly after that, I found two small magpie feathers. I really like crows and the magpies are clearly the department chiefs in our garden."

 ******

 


No comments:

Post a Comment