Sunday 26 August 2012

Day-16

The Challenge....


...is not so much as how to create 21 small paintings in 21 days, but where to put them all once they are done? 

 

So, I have decided to have a Silent Auction at the end of this Challenge and put either all the pieces in one installation on sale (not sure what this will look like yet) or auction each piece off individually.  Stay tuned for a date, likely to be in October, and it will be a partial fundraiser for the Dogwood Initiative: http://dogwoodinitiative.org/

 

"At the Market"
(paper, paint, ink, mesh & wax)


My grandfather used to take me to "The Market" every Saturday morning in my hometown, Bremerhaven, Germany. I loved the vibrant colours and how busy it was there: live chickens in the city, honey still on its comb and "Quark with Sahne" (a fermented soft cheese with a thick layer of cream on top). We used to take a big shopping bag made out of jute netting with us and by the time we had walked around the seemingly huge market, the net would be filled with treasures of simple abundance to be shared at home.

***

Today, I was teaching an encaustic mixed media painting class and here are some pieces from that.... The wax on the the "Bambbo Buddha" has to cure and hence will become less cloudy and more clear.


"Bamboo Buddha" 
 (paper, wax & damar resin)



Another sea scene here that might get a third crow....but this one is for Maria now!

"Crows"  
(wax, damar resin, milk paints, paper, sea weed, pebbles & mesh)


Blessings and love to you all who are following this blog, and here is a huge musical treat to meditate or dance to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWjjkmgxDa0&feature=fvsr

Susanne


******

 

Maria shares: 

 

 
"Together"  
(fabric, photo, yarn & ink)


"Susanne,...Today, I also have the ocean - one can see immediately that you have the Pacific in front of your door and me the East Sea - haha. It seems as if the sea is for you what the forest is for me.  Weird, how the landscape of one's childhood can be so deeply imprinted.  We both left our home countries, but when I return to the place of my childhood and I can't find anything recognizable, it is that my home has left me, which isn't that bad.

I can hardly wait till Friday to hang up my Prayer Flag Chain in the forest! On the other hand, I don't want to stop with this awesome project."  Maria


******

2 comments:

  1. Maria, that's funny: I almost called the last blog entry painting,"Lighthouse":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, das habe ich gar nicht bemerkt... Das Bild mit den Krähen ist sehr schön!!! Danke! Und der Markt gefällt mir auch sehr gut!

    ReplyDelete